I read that recently in the book “Unstoppable” by Ben Angel, and I believe it to be true.
The demands on senior leaders’ time is immense and the energy required to keep up is something I am increasingly talking a lot about in our mastermind program.
So how do you get that much energy consistently, without the punishing regime (and time it takes, which none of us has frankly) to keep yourself ready for anything?
I love the quote by John Maxwell who said “the question isn’t, ‘will your calendar be full?’, the question is ‘who will fill your calendar? Is it going to be you, or is it going to be someone else?”
Time simply doesn’t appear – when was the last time you woke up, looked at your calendar and thought ‘great, I’ve got 2 weeks spare here – what shall I do with it?’. Never,right? And it’s not going to happen anytime soon.
So, here’s the thing: creating results in your team, doesn’t just happen, you make it happen. And deciding how you are going to start your day intentionally is the key to setting yourself up for success and keeping your energy levels super high.
I recently started following the morning routine recommended by a guy in a mastermind group I am in…Alex Charfen.
And it has transformed my energy levels.
It’s super simple, easy to do consistently and quick.
And I hate routine, so if I can do it, it must be easy.
- Ask yourself ‘what are the 3 top things I need to achieve today?’ – this is about focusing the mind.
- (and this is killer) – ask yourself ‘where was I uncomfortable yesterday?’ – this allows reflection on our frustrations, what could have been done better and helps us to review so that we don’t keep making the same mistakes over and over.
- Write the to do list – this is a short list of tasks that need to get done today – this is where we have the opportunity to prioritse what these should be to make the top 3 happen. (Here’s the magic here, most people write everything down they ever have to get done, and then never get to the end of it – STOP. Think about what the priorities are…and remove everything else form the list – those unchecked items will weigh you down)
- Finally, go through the list and ask for help immediately – who can you get to help you?
Going through these four steps every morning set me up for the day feeling lighter, energised and possibly counter-intuitively, much more productive than I have ever been before.
Sue ”energy of a javelin thrower” McKenzie
And, whenever you’re ready… here are 4 ways I can help you grow your agency team:
- Join Us inside The Leadership Mentoring Project – it’s our private Facebook Group where we are sharing training and our secrets to levelling up your agency team – Click Here
- Join our Creative Leaders Black Belt Program and be a Case Study – I’m putting together a new coaching case study group at Black Belt this month… stay tuned for details. If you’d like to work with me on your leadership skills and get your creative teams producing the very best work… just click here and put “Case Study” in the subject line
- Join our Agency Leaders Momentum Program – If you are an agency leader looking to improve your leadership skills to ignite the results of your team…just reply to this message here and put “Momentum” in the first line…tell me a bit about your situation, and we’ll get you all the details
- Work with me and my team privately – If you’d like to work directly with me and my team to take you from good to great… just reply to this message here and put “Private” in the subject line… tell me a little about your agency and what you’d like to work on together, and I’ll get you all the details